WESTBROOK (WGME) -- A fire in Westbrook has forced 16 people out of their homes for at least a few days.
Westbrook fire officials say the fire started just before 9:00am in a three-unit apartment building at 51 Walker Street on Friday.
Officials say the fire was mostly contained by the building’s sprinkler system.
No one was injured.
The fire department says there was very little damage done by the fire, but water damage caused them to disconnect the electricity.
Because of that, all residents will have to find alternate housing until electricity is restored, which should only be a few days.
Fire officials say the fire was caused by food left cooking unattended on a stove.
The Red Cross is helping the residents find a safe place to stay.