Suspect arrested following standoff at Portland motel

Vincent Teruel (Maine State Police/WGME)

UPDATE: A Hollis man was caught after a more than 12-hour standoff situation in Portland.

Maine State Police had been looking for 40-year-old Vincent Teruel.

They say it stemmed from a domestic violence assault in Hollis on Sunday.

Investigators say the suspect checked into the Motel 6 off Riverside and Brighton Avenue Monday, leading to a standoff and an evacuation of the building.

When officers went into his room, they say Teruel wasn't there.

State police say officers in Portland took Teruel into custody in the area of 1410 Congress Street.

He fled on foot and was arrested after a short foot chase.

PORTLAND (WGME) -- Maine State Police say they did not find a domestic violence suspect after an hours-long standoff at a Portland motel.

State police say they are looking for 40-year-old Vincent Teruel, of Hollis.

According to investigators, Teruel checked himself into a room at Motel 6 on Riverside Street in Portland on Monday, but was not in the room when police entered it late Monday night.

Police were on scene for nearly 13 hours Monday.

They evacuated the entire fourth floor and most of the third floor before discovering Teruel wasn't there.

Police say Teruel is wanted in connection to a domestic violence assault Sunday night in York County.

"Police suspected that Teruel might be armed, which was one of the reason's the motel was evacuated, but the gun was located late last night at another location," said Public Safety Spokesman Steve McCausland in a news release Tuesday morning.

Nearly three dozen people were allowed to return to their rooms shortly after midnight Tuesday.

Police say they came to the Motel 6 on Riverside Street in Portland after a domestic violence assault incident that started in York County. They tracked the suspect to the 4th floor of the Motel 6.

Officials asked people to stay away from the building “for their own safety," evacuating the 4th floor and most of the third floor.

Police say they tried to contact the suspect by phone for hours. It's not clear how the situation ended.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off