MENU
component-ddb-728x90-v1-01-desktop

Students plan protest after mold is discovered in SMCC residence hall

A Southern Maine Community College residence hall has been shut down after mold was discovered by students. (Contributed)

SOUTH PORTLAND (WGME) -- A Southern Maine Community College residence hall has been shut down after mold was discovered by students.

Students have been moved out of the Spring Point Residence Hall while tests are being done to find out the extent of the damage.

The discovery was made when students became concerned with wet ceiling tiles with a black substance on them, which students claim is black mold.

The school says at least three students have been reported being ill.

Students in those dorms have been moved to a different residence hall.

SMCC Dean of Students Tiffanie Bentley says tests are being done, but the substance could have been formed due to the weather.

"In the last couple weeks, honestly, we replaced tiles as early as Tuesday that were saturated again and starting to mold by Friday, so the situation is a perfect storm of what we believe to be a mechanical malfunction in conjunction with the extreme heat and humidity,” Bentley said.

Some students say the school has known about the mold for months.

One student claims the school is covering up the mold and says the school needs to reimburse students for the costs of medical bills, moving, and cleaning their belongings.

"We should not be paying for this, and they should be held 100 percent accountable, and for covering this up, and just replacing tiles is not good enough. They need to have been testing this long before any resident was living in those halls. This is unacceptable,” SMCC student Olivia Treadwell said.

Students are planning to hold a protest at 6 p.m. Monday on campus.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off

Trending