Family speaks after Rumford man is cleared of kidnapping charges

A Maine man has been cleared of kidnapping charges, after his alleged victim admits she made it up. (WGME)

LEWISTON (WGME) -- A Maine man has been cleared of kidnapping charges, after his alleged victim admits she made it up.

Prosecutors dismissed the case this week citing a lack of evidence.

Joshua Brown's defense attorney says the key piece of evidence that turned this case around came from a surveillance camera on Lisbon Street, and that little piece of newly discovered video made a big difference.

Sherri Brown is trying to clear her husband's name.

“He did not have it in his character to do something so horrendous,” Sherri Brown said.

The Rumford man was facing up to 30 years in prison, charged with kidnapping and unlawful sexual contact after he picked up a woman in the early morning hours of May 24.

According to an affidavit, she told police Brown forced her into the car, but he's maintained from the beginning, that's not what happened.

“Yeah everything that happened she was willing to go along with,” Joshua Brown said. “She got in my car. By herself. Everything.”

Documents filed Tuesday show prosecutors have dismissed the case, citing insufficient evidence.

Brown's lawyer says surveillance obtained from a downtown building shows a small part of Brown's taillight up the entire time, meaning he never took his foot off the brake and couldn't have gotten out of the car.

He says when prosecutors confronted the woman, she admitted to getting in voluntarily.

Brown and his wife are frustrated this evidence wasn't found during the initial investigation.

“They should have checked that out first,” Sherri Brown said. “Just because somebody accuses somebody of something doesn't necessarily mean it happened.”

They're relieved, but say the damage is already done. Joshua lost his job, and they're $75,000 in debt.

They want to see the alleged victim face charges of her own.

No word on if that woman will be charged. Our calls to the District Attorney's Office Thursday were not returned. Police stand by their initial investigation and say it was thorough.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off