SOUTH PORTLAND (WGME) -- South Portland Parks and Recreation says it found signs of a toxic blue-green algae bloom in Hinckley Park on Monday.
Pet Alert! Blue-green algae in lake water is toxic to dogs
South Portland officials are still waiting for conformation from DEP, but they posted signs around the ponds and closed them out of caution.
Blue-green algae is a type of photosynthesizing bacteria called cyanobacteria. It exists in all Maine lakes but is harmless in low concentrations.
However, when the population of this bacteria explodes during an algal bloom it can sometimes produce toxins that, when ingested, can kill dogs, according to Scott Williams, executive director of the Lake Stewards of Maine. It can also harm humans.
Algae blooms in Maine could kill pets and cause skin rashes
Please keep your dogs away from the water in Hinckley Park. Do not let them drink the water or swim in it.View This Story on Our Site