Search Results

The following is an archived video story. The text content of that video story is available below for reference. The original video has been deleted and is no longer available.

Rochester man dies after being shot, officers involved

ROCHESTER, NH (WGME) -- A man shot by police inside a home in Rochester Monday afternoon died from at Maine Medical Center in Portland overnight.

The New Hampshire Attorney General says 35-year-old Ben Shannon was the subject of an arrest warrant.

Now, a state investigation into the use of deadly force is underway.

Assistant Attorney General Ben Agati says three Strafford County probation officers and a sheriff's deputy showed up at 28 Periwinkle Drive on Monday afternoon to serve an arrest warrant on Ben Shannon for violating probation.

It's still unclear why the situation escalated.

We know shots were fired, law enforcement did discharge their weapons, but we are trying to determine exactly who fired, how many times, and what directions those shots were, Agati said.

Neighbors reported the gunshots shortly after 3 p.m.

I have a five year old and they play around here, it is really scary, said Al Hughes who lives on Periwinkle Drive. If it were summertime all the kids would be out playing, who knows what couldve happened.

Last month, Rochester Police arrested and charged Shannon with armed robbery after he allegedly waved a gun at a clerk in a convenience store.

Rochester resident Kelly Ramsey says his mugshot shows a very different Ben Shannon than the one she remembers from high school.

He was one of those kids who would go out of his way and always had a smile, Ramsey said.

Ramsey spoke with CBS13 News but didnt want to go on camera.

She tells us that she hadnt seen Shannon in a while, but heard that alcoholism had changed her old friend.

What probably happened in that house wasnt who we knew, he wasnt the Ben that we knew, she said.

She says over the years, poor decisions took a good man down a bad road, one that ultimately led to his death.

Just so sad, so sad and my prayers are with his family and everyone who remembers him, Ramsey said.

The Maine Medical Examiner will perform an autopsy on Tuesday afternoon.

Agati says the results will help investigators learn more about how many shots were fired.