Search Results

The following is an archived video story. The text content of that video story is available below for reference. The original video has been deleted and is no longer available.

Bath family talks about dangerous house fire

BATH (WGME) -- With just seconds to spare, a father describes the moment he was forced to drop his son out of a third story window to firefighters below.

Jon Tanguay called 911 as soon as he realized the first floor of his apartment home was on fire, but it was too late. He and his four year old son were trapped on the third floor.

Joe McCole says hes seen a lot in his 26 years as a firefighter, even delivered a baby in the kitchen of a home right around the corner, but he's never been a part of a rescue like this.

McCole climbed a ladder to that first landing held his hands up and caught the little boy from that third story window.

The flames spread fast, too fast for Jon Tanguay and his son to use the stairs to escape.

Trapped in their third floor apartment, the two ran to the window for air when they looked outside, help was already there.

Tanguay held his little boy by the feet, dropped him to firefighter Joe McCole, and then jumped out the window.

The Tanguay family says if it weren't for the work of these firefighters, this story would have a different ending.

McCole says his team earned their pay Thursday.

As for the cause, the chief tells us it was all an accident that started in the kitchen.