13 On Your Side: Maine Travel Scams
AUGUSTA (WGME) -- It's that time of year when legitimate travel companies are offering good travel deals. But Attorney General, Janet Mills, says consumers need to be leery of those deals that sound too good to be true.
Here are six signs that a sun-splashed giveaway might be a scam:
- You won a free vacation but you have to pay some fees first
- The prize company wants your credit card number
- They contact you out of the blue
- They don't give you specifics
- You get pressure to sign-up for a travel club for great deals on future vacations
- You get a robocall (These are illegal if you haven't given a company written permission to call you.)
The AG's Office is also warning about timeshare scams that could cost you. Mills says deal only with licensed real estate brokers or agents and don't wire money or pay cash without getting everything in writing.
For more information, click here.Saturday, May 25 2013, 10:02 PM EDT
On Your Side Stories
School Spirit ChallengeLocal Schools raise food donations for the Good Shepherd Food Bank
Restaurant ReportEach week we dig into the health inspection reports and let you know which restaurants might be putting your family's health at risk.
Raw NewsWatch extra news footage, full interviews, and extended stories that didn't make the air.
See It, Shoot It, Send ItJoin the NEWS 13 team! Send us your pictures and video of news events, see them on our website, and maybe even see them on the news!
Waste WatchHow are your tax dollars being spent? Waste Watch tracks whether local, state and federal governments or any groups are using your money wisely...or wasting it.
Health Care ReformThe Supreme Court ruling to uphold the Affordable Care Act sparked a new battle. Check here daily for the latest developments, locally and across the country.
Marley's MinuteComedian Bob Marley offers his take on current issues Monday Mornings on Daybreak
HealthlineNews 13 and local hospitals are working together to offer free medical advice on issues that matter most to you
Fugitive FilesYOU CAN HELP catch Maine's most wanted fugitives. Get details of the crimes of which they are accused.
What's GrowingNews 13's Charlie Lopresti helps you make the most of this year's growing season.
Town HallJoin in as our expert panel discusses gun control legislation
Your Voice. Your Future.As the country faces challenges from federal budget issues to jobs and national debt, your voice is critical to the future.
Washington TimesPolitics, Breaking News, US and World News.
Political PulseArmstrong Williams is a pugnacious, provocative and principled voice for conservatives and Christian values in America's public debates.
Watch WGME 13 Live on Your Phone
QR Code Directions:
- Install a free QR Code reader on your smart phone.
- Once the app is downloaded to your phone, open the app and click "Scan".
- Using your phone's camera, scan or take a picture of our code with your new barcode scanner.
- Click "Open Link" to go directly to m.wgme.com on your mobile device.
Tonight on WGME 13
6:30pm - WGME News 13 Wknd
7:00pm - 60 Minutes
8:00pm - The Amazing Race (Season Finale)
10:00pm - The Mentalist
11:00pm - News 13 at 11